How much do we cycle per week on average?
In 2020, the 12 to 17‑year-olds cycled most frequently, either on bicycles or e-bikes. They also travelled the most kilometres: an average of 33 kilometres per person per week. The over-75s preferred the bicycle least. They cycled an average of 14 kilometres per week, as many as 25 to 34‑year-olds.
In 2020, a year of government measures imposed to counter the coronavirus pandemic, people cycled less frequently and also covered fewer kilometres per week on average than in 2019. This was excluding the over-75s, who cycled equally often both years and covered the same distance.
An average of 4.2 bike rides a week
In an average week in 2020, residents of the Netherlands aged six and over used a bicycle for 4.4 trips, almost 1 less than in 2019. The 12 to 17‑year-olds also cycled less often in 2020, but at 8.4 times they still cycled nearly twice as often as the average Dutch person. With an average of 33 kilometres per person per week, they also travelled the most kilometres. Similarly, despite cycling less often and less far than in 2019, 6 to 11‑year-olds rode their bikes nearly 7 times a week and covered over 15 kilometres a week.
While 65 to 74‑year-olds cycled less often than young people, when they did go out, they covered relatively many kilometres, around 24 kilometres per week in 2020. This figure is the same as it was in 2019. People aged 75 and over cycled the fewest kilometres per week at 14 kilometres. In 2020, 25 to 34‑year-olds were also cycling 14 kilometres a week. This was nearly 18 kilometres a week in 2019.
Students and pupils cycle the most
Both students and pupils rode their bikes most frequently and they also pedalled the most kilometres. They rode their bikes almost 7 times a week in 2020 and cycled more than 22 kilometres per person during such week. In 2019, this was 9 times and 29 kilometres. Pensioners spent less time on their bicycles, but when they did, they covered a greater distance. In total, pensioners cycled an average of 21 kilometres per person per week, both in 2020 and the year before.
|Students or pupils||22.45|
|Pensioners, early retirees||20.69|
30 hrs/week or more
|People with work disability||11.77|
Mainly recreational cycling kilometres
In 2020, most bicycle trips were made to run errands or to do some shopping. However, most cycling kilometres were travelled for recreational purposes, such as touring, hiking and for going out, sports and leisure. The average of 4.7 kilometres per person per week for the purpose of touring and hiking was almost a third higher than in 2019. For going out, sports and leisure, almost one-fifth fewer kilometres were cycled in 2020 than in 2019. For commuting to and from work, this was one-third fewer kilometres.
|Going out, sports, leisure||3.60|
|Travel to/from work, (non-)daily commute||3.07|
|Shopping, groceries, errands||2.18|
|Visit, overnight stay||1.33|
|Other travel purposes||0.99|
|Services, personal care||0.33|
StatLine – Mobility; per person, personal characteristics, travel purposes and regions
StatLine – Mobility; per person, trip characteristics, travel purposes and region
Theme page – Traffic and transport
- How does CBS collect data?
- How much do we cycle per week on average?
- Who are most likely to work part-time?
- How many people visited Bonaire by cruise ship?
- Are people happy with the house they live in?
- How many young women encounter street harassment?
- What do the over-65s do online?
- How many wind turbines in the Netherlands?
- How far is school by bike?
- How many museums are there?
- How much electricity in the Caribbean Netherlands is renewable?
- How many adults are overweight?
- How many cargo ships dock at Dutch seaports?
- What did we listen to on the radio in 1953?
- What is the average lifespan in the Netherlands?
- Where did we go for a holiday in 1947?
- How much fish is landed?
- Where were people in the Netherlands born?
- What do we spend money on?
- How old are Dutch first-time mothers on average?
- How much cheese do we produce?
- How are goods transported through the Netherlands?
- How many people fall victim to cybercrime?
- What is the most spoken language or dialect at home?
- How many shops are there?
- What is the value of Dutch beer exports?
- How often do we have a goosebump moment?
- How many cows graze in fields?
- What are the most popular majors?
- How tall are Dutch people?
- How is the urban bird population doing?
- Where do most people work?
- What colour is our car?
- How does CBS handle your privacy?